Dr. Norman Mukasa received his PhD in International Intercultural Studies and a European Master’s degree in Sustainable Development (focus: Sustainable Regional Health Systems from the University of Deusto in Spain, and his undergraduate degree from Makerere University, Uganda. His research interest addresses post-conflict transformation, gender and social inequalities. Dr. Mukasa is an invited peer reviewer for Development and Practice and member to international academic networks such as International Network for Interdisciplinary Research on Children Born of War (INIRC-CBOW) and Research Data Alliance (RDA).
Message From The Dean Of Faculty
Welcome to the Faculty of Social Culture and Development Studies (SCAD). Each academic year, SCAD receives students from various walks of life and different regions of Uganda and the world. We shape them into critical minded fellows, innovators, transformative leaders and managers in the fields of tourism and hotel management, mass communication, guidance and counselling, development studies and social work. The teaching and learning programmes at SCAD give students the knowledge and skills to contribute to society in these chosen fields of endeavour. The faculty encourages and promotes a world-class learning environment where teaching, learning and research take place in ways that are inspirational and innovative.
SCAD provides an intellectually, socially and personally transformative experience that prepares students to be employable, innovative and enterprising. Equally, the faculty maintains links with the alumni. The faculty is proud of the diverse community of students and alumni engaged in various careers in many parts of the country and the world. SCAD offers community-linked learning approaches through field work visits in the local settings where students participate as interns and identify research problems.
During my tenure as a dean of SCAD, my main aim is to lead the Faculty of Social Culture and Development Studies in developing international collaborations for capacity building and into a dynamic unit that equips students with skills needed to influence the social, cultural and development practices and policies for sustainable development of Uganda and beyond.
I encourage you to come visit us and get to know the academic programs and to interact with lecturers who are dedicated to transformative teaching and perform edge-cutting research.
To be a leading centre for knowledge and research generation on holistic approaches to social, cultural and sustainable development.
To foster an interactive environment for practical knowledge and research aimed at empowering staff and students to contribute to sustainable development in their local communities and change the global discourses.
- Research mindset
- To form a competent, vibrant and dynamic human resource with a deeper critical and analytical understanding of complex social, culture and development processes.
- To focus on planning, implementing, and designing programmes that will enhance equitable and sustainable development for society.
- To provide high quality, and relevant practical learning aimed at empowering the faculty’s students with skills that help them solve complex social and cultural phenomena.
- To design a robust curriculum that stands the test of time in addressing the university's key educational needs and plans.
- To produce a vibrant group of professionals who are innovative, enterprising and job creators ready to address the evolving challenges of society and the nation at large.
- To partner with government, cultural leadership, civil society and other stakeholders in aligning national development goals with the Sustainable Development Goals.
- To provide opportunities for student and staff development in the generation of knowledge for professional growth.
I would like to encourage you to join each department in the faculty of SCAD especially because of the interdisciplinary nature of the programs, the intellectual and research-based learning offered. The faculty is pleased to offer undergraduate, diploma and certificate courses in the following departments:
- Development Studies
- Social Work and Social Administration
- Mass Communication
- Tourism and Hotel Management
- Guidance and Counselling